PJ McMillan, owner and chef, started his cooking career in his home country of NZ.
However, on reaching Australia in the late 1980’s he soon made it home, settling in Brisbane after a stint in Sydney.
Positions to date:
- Setup and ran as head chef, Rae’s Bistro in Mary Street (American Best New Restaurant 1995)
- Head chef of Philip Johnsons’ award winning Ecco for 3 years (95-98), and winner of prestigious Australian Best Restaurant.
- Branched out on his own to create bistro and bar Arc in Brisbane’s New Farm. Achieving a variety of awards including:
– Queensland Best New Restaurant 1998
– American Express Best Bistro 1999, 2000, 2001
– Stars in well reputed eating guides
- After selling Arc for a well earned rest, PJ was soon in the thick of things again working for Milan Property group in the development of Brisbane’s historic Fortitude Valley Post Office, creating the award winning restaurant Telegraph and sibling outlets Function Centre and Cellar Bar.
- He was then invited to run the kitchens of the newly redeveloped Brisbane icon, Story Bridge Hotel which won best redeveloped hotel during his stay.
Brisbane’s support of PJ has been gathering wherever he went, with regular clients following his career, creating an established clientele.
PJ’s return to owning his own restaurant was well overdue when he took over the delicatessen Harveys.
With a small make over and his classic bistro style, he has rejuvenated Harveys to a buzzing bistro in the shopping precinct of Fortitude Valley’s James Street.