Welcome to the award winning Tukka Restaurant…
We source our native ingredients from growers and wild harvesters in every corner of Australia. They include delicious rainforest fruits bursting with flavour, intense spice from desert tomatoes, the subtle heat of the pepperberry from the cool mountains of Tasmania and lean, rich game meats including emu, wallaby, possum and wild boar. We are committed to sourcing all our fresh produce and seafood from Australian suppliers and we purchase locally whenever possible. We complement our unique cuisine with a strong collection of boutique wines from the finest vineyards in Australia, including some of the best from Queensland. Our range of Australian boutique beers provides you with a large choice of premium ales and a selection from our rainforest liqueurs is the perfect way to finish your meal.
We have regular art exhibitions showcasing local indigenous artists, set against the earth tone colours of the restaurant. The atmosphere is completed with the soothing sounds of dreamtime music.
Relax and enjoy our uniquely Australian hospitality. We deliver the highest levels of professional and friendly service and provide you the opportunity to discover more about our cuisine from our knowledgeable staff.
We are passionate about showcasing the best of Australian cuisine to lovers of fine food at home and from across the world.
Our range of wine, beer and spirits have been selected to complement the fine food at Tukka, and we hope you enjoy indulging in our cellar list as much as we enjoyed putting it together.
The first page of our wine list is dedicated to Queensland wines, and we are the first restaurant in Australia to offer such a selection. Queensland wines have met with a mixed reaction in the past, but the wines being produced today are some of the best in Australia. We have taken great care to select the finest wines from four regions giving you the opportunity to taste the best of Queensland wine.
The selection of Australian boutique wines that follow the Queensland list have been chosen to represent a diversity of regions, varietals and styles from all over the country. We have concentrated on small boutique wines and placed these along side some of the most famous iconic wines in Australia.
The boutique beer list at the back of the menu offers a wide selection of premium Australian beers complete with tasting notes.
There is an extensive range of dessert wines and a unique selection of native Australian liqueurs, which are the perfect way to finish your meal.
“Tukka aims to showcase the best of native Australian cuisine by developing innovative dishes to celebrate the flavours of Australia’s native foods. We aim to create a cuisine unique to Australia, for the enjoyment of locals and visitors alike. A cuisine that embraces the freshest ingredients from our bountiful countryside, oceans and bays, and combines them with native herbs, spices and berries to produce a true taste of Australia.”
· Owner: Alistair Roberts
· Head Chef: Stephane Bremont
· Address: 145 Boundary Street, West End, Brisbane, QLD 4101
· Phone: (07) 38466333
· Fax: (07) 38460224
· Credit cards: All cards accepted
· Cuisine: Native Australian Cuisine
- Opening times: Dinner: Tuesday – Sunday (5:30pm-late)
Lunch: Sunday (12:00pm-3:00pm)
List of Achievements
· Queensland Specialty Cuisine Restaurant of the Year 2004 (Restaurant & Catering, QLD)
· Brisbane Specialty Cuisine Restaurant of the Year 2004 (Restaurant & Catering, Brisbane)
· Winner Formal Dining Restaurant 2004 (Quest Business Awards, Southern News)
· Brisbane Casual Restaurant of the Year 2004 & 2005 (Entertainment Guide, Brisbane)
· Star Rating, Good Life Food Guide 2004 & 2005 (Courier Mail, Queensland)
· Outstanding Business Award 2004 (Traders Association, West End)
· Recommended for excellence 2004 (Australian Good Food Guide)
· Finalist Best New Restaurant 2003 (Restaurant & Catering, Brisbane)
In 2004 the restaurant advanced to the final stage of the Restaurant and Catering competition, representing Queensland at the national awards. All other native Australian restaurants were eliminated in earlier rounds, so Tukka became the nation’s leading native Australian restaurant.
- “Tukka could so easily be the type of themed Australiana place fit only for tourists, but it’s not. This is sophisticated dining, with local native produce beautifully cooked and presented – truly advanced Australian fare” (Natascha Mirosch, Brisbane News, 2005).
- “A unique and stunning experience, very highly recommended indeed, especially if you’re looking for something out of the ordinary” (Brandy Snap, Q-News, 2005).
- “Restaurateur Alistair Roberts, who opened…[Tukka] nearly two years ago, is passionate about showcasing native foods through innovative dishes bursting with bush tucker flavours” (Fran Metcalf, Courier Mail, 2004).
- “There’s a youthful feel at [Tukka]…and, especially in the evening, a tangible energy that translates into casual enjoyment” (Lizzie Loel, Courier Mail, 2003).
- “There’s a strong selection of Australian wines and a friendly approach to service, headed by an amicable Aussie with an English, educated accent” (Stefan Treyvaud, Map Magazine, 2003).
- “Roberts and chef…are on a real mission here to develop innovative dishes using native foods” (Alison Walsh, Brisbane News, 2003).
Visit us today and discover the best of native Australian cuisine at Tukka Restaurant